Thursday, January 3, 2013

Getting to Know Me

50+ years ago I was born to a very young couple in NY. They escaped the city to raise a brood of 6 wild ones on the shore of Long Island. we were loud, hungry, dirty, and curious, and barely took time to sleep while we all raced in circles around our, neighbors, classmates, and church friends. It wasn't always pretty but it was always glorious.

Being the eldest daughter had it's responsibilities and expectations but only so far as to keep within the confines of the ever changing society of the 60's and 70's. My parents never clipped my wings completely  as they watched their dreams of raising a traditional domestic young woman slip ever further away. Boys were supposed to be the athletes. Boys were supposed to study science in college. Boys were supposed to leave the nest for foreign exotic places, not girls.

With many a tear my folks watched me drive away that September day for parts west of NY, wondering when or if they would ever see me again. Triumphs and failures would follow. Falling out and falling into favor would happen. The story is still unfolding but the circle remains intact.


No comments:

Post a Comment