Friday, May 11, 2012

Back to love

After years of adulthood, wandering aimlessly through my days, I finally returned to my first true passion: Writing. I wrote my first play in elementary school and was an avid journalist in middle school. My friend, Tonia Kozlowski and I started an "underground" paper which we attempted to circulate in direct opposition to our school-sponsored newsletter. We were only able to publish one paper before our principal reprimanded us. Life started happening for me during high school. Tragedies happened and I lost the desire to write. Later, I went on to study to become a Paralegal, had kids, got married, got divorced and starting dreading my daily activities. Until I was inspired to write poetry under the pen name Seren Taylor. After publishing a collection, co-authored with my spiritual sister, Shai Yo Choe, and its limited (that's a very generous term) success, I ran away from my first true love again. Now 36 and wanting more out of my life, I am determined to get back to writing and stick with it. Although I would love to live the life of a professional writer and make a nice paycheck from my passion, I am realistic in my understanding of what it takes to achieve such a whimsical goal. Now, I write because it eases my mind and my body and maybe I can inspire another youngster to stick with her dreams and keep writing. I'm Shanice, I'm new at this blogging thing, but I am here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment